The mission of the Lesbian Gay Community Center of Greater Kansas City is to create, support and provide vital and timely resources and services for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight-Allied communities of greater Kansas City. In 2008, the Center capitalized on the "COM" in the modern-day GLBT COMmunity, and began serving its members with revamped website and strategic plan. Yes, the bricks-and-mortar of yesteryear's community center are long gone. Today, the Center achieves its mission by:
- Maintaining an accurate, up-to-date calendar about events and activities relevant to the GLBT community;
- Sending emails to its member database about opportunities to get involved in the GLBT community;
- Providing a comprehensive on-line resource directory that includes GLBT supportive businesses and organizations;
- Manning a hot line (816-931-4420) and information email to answer questions about Kansas City's vibrant GLBT community and resources
- Organizing family-friendly GLBT community events, such as the annual Picnic at Swope Park in May and Out In Westport festival every October.
- Coordinating regular meetings with leaders of GLBT organizations to facilitate cohesion and networking;
- Co-sponsoring events with local GLBT organizations, ranging from town halls with the mayor to social gatherings at local bars or restaurants.
- Assisting with locating meeting space for GLBT organizations.
Last updated: 2010-08-08 21:44:10